What is WordPress
- Create and publish blog articles.
- Classify articles into categories.
- Add categories to different labels.
- Manage the image gallery.
- Upload Videos or Music.
- Respond to Comments.
- Share content via Social Media.
What started as a simple blog system in 2003 is now a powerful tool to create entire sites.
Why use WordPress
WordPress is by far the most used Content Management System (CMS) in the world as well-known companies like NASA, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, eBay and LinkedIn use it. That comes as no surprise when taking into account its tremendous advantages:
- Even an absolute beginner can work with WordPress.
- People use WordPress for many different digital purposes, such as:
- Personal blogs
- Corporate websites
- Online Magazine
- Easy to Expand
- With tens of thousands of WordPress plugins, the functionality of a WordPress site is easy to expand.
WordPress basic installation configuration
WordPress Basic Installation
To install WordPress, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Log in to our ACTIVE 24 customer centre.
- Step 2: Here you can choose where you want to install WordPress.
- Step 3: The WordPress installation only takes a few minutes.
- Step 4: Shortly after installation, you will receive an e-mail with login instructions.
TIP: Read the WordPress Installation instructions with One-Click Installer.
Login to WordPress on your domain
To log in to the WordPress installation on your domain:
- Step 1: Open a web browser (e.g., Google Chrome).
- Type in your domain name: www.domainname.extension/wp-admin.
- Step 2: Login with your credentials (Username & Password).
- Step 3: WordPress Dashboard
- Now you are in the WordPress Dashboard.
Set up basic WordPress configuration
First set up the following three basic WordPress configuration settings:
- 1. Administrator e-mail
- First of all, check whether you use your contact e-mail address as administrator e-mail. If not, you could experience access problems when logging to the WordPress system later on.
- 2. Create website name and description
- Second, now you are in the WordPress Dashboard you can start creating your online presence. Fill in the name and a short description of the site. Make it short, clear and concise.
- 3. Change the format of the URL Builder
- Third, before you start to create your website, make sure you have the correct URL addresses:
- Step 1: Go to "Settings".
- Step 2: Click on "Permanent Links".
- Step 3: Type in "post title", to address a new article.
- Step 4: Copy "Title name". This is good for site optimisation.
TIP: When opening a new page in WordPress, you can preview the page, to see it as other Internet users will see it. In this way, you can make real-time adjustments.
After this, start building your site.
Select the basic "look & feel" of your website with a "WordPress template".
TIP: Check the article WordPress template for how to select the right theme that suits your site best.