Secure internet usage is becoming increasingly important. The Internet offers many opportunities, but your Internet safety is not guaranteed. Whether you are first introduced to the Internet or an expert, if you use the Internet, it is important that you know how you can do it safely. Read "Secure internet Usage: Safe Internet 2".
Secure internet usage
Did you ever wonder what risks Internet use entails? What happens to the private information you share online? Are you aware of a possible theft of your online identity, data breaches or cyber-attacks?
92,6% of the UK regularly search on the Internet (Internetlivestats, 2016). Whether you bank online, read your email, look up information, book flights or use a social network. You share important personal information once you are online.
Secure internet usage is a major concern. You can do a lot yourself to increase safe internet usage. In addition to protecting your online privacy, creating good habits regarding secure internet usage is also important. Read about safe Internet usage for e-mail, social media, websites and online shopping.
With these tips, you are safe using e-mail:
#TIP 1: Use a strong password.
- Automatically generate a password in 24 ACTIVE Control.
- Change your password regularly (1-3 months).
- Share your password with anyone, not even your partner.
#TIP 2: Log in two steps.
- Use in addition to a password, a code that will be sent via your smartphone.
- Activate the double login method in your email program.
#TIP 3: Always log out.
- Always log out of your e-mail program, once you are done.
- This prevents other users from seeing your account.
Social Media & Websites
Social media like Facebook have collected over the years millions of private data. With these tips, you are safely using social networks and Web sites:
- Go to the "Privacy settings' of Facebook to manage your profile.
- Change the default setting from 'public' to 'friends only'.
- In this way, you share your messages only with friends, not with the entire world.
- Sign out of Social Networks you use.
- This prevents strangers to see your account getting.
- Log out of Web sites.
- Once you are logged out, the company cannot follow your search behaviour, but only analyse your details.
- Make sure you use a secure Internet connection.
- You work with a secure connection, when you see "https://" in your browser as the beginning of your internet address.
- Shop only on secure websites.
- Give only the necessary information to private companies (E.g. Telephone number, e-mail or home address).
- Do NOT Trust companies asking you for private information via email or phone inquiries. Remove the mail or hang up.
- Emails asking for personal information, passwords, PINs or verification of bank details are mostly phishing of "Internet criminals pretending to be an existing company.
- If in doubt, call the company!
- Please check the URL before you enter your (login) data. Have you typed a wrong address? You might end up on a lock site, where cyber criminals trying to steal your (login) data.
- Check with any advance payment or the site is secure (https://).
- Pay by credit card only at secure websites with SSL certificate.
- Do not make online payments from an unsecured wireless network (WIFI).
#TIP 4: Do not display your Facebook profile to the public.
#TIP 5: Sign out of Social Networks & Websites
Secure online shopping
With these tips, you will safely shop online :
#TIP 6: Order securely online
#TIP 7: Beware of 'phishing' messages
#TIP 8: Pay securely online
Do you want to know more about safe internet usage?